Sunday, October 7, 2012

DIY Microphone Shock Mount

So after making the PVC mic stand and the improvised pop filter I realized that the system really needed a shock mount for the microphone. And let's be honest, there was no way I was paying $30 for it.

After digging around on the Interwebs I found an Instructable for a mount that used PVC and some rubber bands. I modified this to work with the desktop stand I built a few days ago, and came up with this.

I had some 4" PVC lying about and my wife had a bag of large rubber bands for some reason. After cutting off about a 3" pice of PVC, I fitted the rubber band and tried the microphone in it. I wasn't too sure it would actually hold the mic to be honest, so imagine how thrilled I was to find out it did!

With the rubber bands in pace I marked their location with a pencil and then removed them. These small lines would be the cut marks I would make the notches with. With a trusty hacksaw blade in hand I went to work, and a few minutes later had all the lines cut. Then I just used a pair of good dykes to cut out the space in between. These notches would serve as holders for the rubber bands keeping them in place regardless of the jostling they took.

I wanted to keep the actual desk stand I made the other day as intact as possible. Which means I really did not want to remove the actual microphone clip from the stand and have to use another type of mount. The mic clip allows my stand to pivot in two place, the  base of the arm and at the microphone itself, which makes it a lot easier to position.

What I decided to do instead was to simply drill a small hole into the PVC shock mount, and a hole through the mic clip itself and attach them both with a 2" nut and screw. I'll admit that I was a little leery about drilling through the mic clip, but it seems to have affected it none and allows the shock mount to tilt.


 And that was really it. I sanded down the PVC some to remove some of the dirt and I left it white for now. I may try and spray paint it black, but I'm not sure what I can use that will stick to PVC, and I didn't have it in my garage.

So the real question is, did it work? I am happy to say that the very short test recording I made had me thumping my desk, and re-positioning the mic stand while speaking. Neither of which were apparent on the  recording. Yesterday with just the mic stand and doing the same thing, I realized that any jostling of the mic or mic stand would cause some serious clipping. And any time I would type, or even tap on my desk absent-mindedly, I was picking it up through the microphone.

Does it work then? Hell yes it works! It is freaking awesome! It may not be the prettiest Heil shock mount that you have ever seen, but it is functional and cost me nothing. Which is pretty spectacular!


No comments:

Post a Comment