Monday, April 16, 2012

Review: Penzance Pipe Tobacco

Comoy GuildHall pipe on Penzance on
Chaosium's Malleus Monstrorum
Last night I had the pleasure of smoking the fine Penzance tobacco from Esoterica Tobacciana. This is one of those hot, and therefore rare, pipe tobaccos that are so popular right now. And with good reason, Penzance is a robust English blend that produces a lot of smoke. For inexperienced pipe smokers, you are probably not going to get this the first time around, I know I didn't.

After a few bowls and some time, several months, the flavors start to pop out at you. There is an underlying earthiness that at first you think is almost moldy, but later takes on that pure earth flavor and odor. Then the sweetness balances out the spice from the Latakia. This is a wonderful tobacco, is it worth the ridiculous amount of hype surrounding it? Probably not, but it still in my top three favorite smokes. For that alone I bought the 8oz. bag you see here, totally worth it.

You can try the usual spot for tobacco purchases online, but know that it is generally out of stock. So unless you have a local dealer with it in stock, plan on waiting a few weeks/months to come by it.

I smoked this in a nice little estate pipe I picked up a few months back, a GuildHall second series from Comoy. This one is a nice little bent Dublin, or Zulu, shape, and smoke quiet well even with the Comoy stinger in there.

The Penzance listing on TobaccoReviews.com
PipesAndCigars.com Esoterica page - My favorite online seller.

No comments:

Post a Comment